Friday, December 28, 2007

The Closing of 2007


Yesterday we received a newsletter from Vision Forum that really inspired Daniel and I. The whole newsletter can be read here.

In the newsletter, Doug Philips challenges families to do 3 important things before the end of the year:

· Outline and Chronicle the Many Providences of God
· Say ‘Thank You’ to Those Who Have Invested in Your Life
· Forgive Those Who Have Wronged You

In the first part, Doug calls us to chronicle the past year. He gives a list of 20 questions for the family to answer and record in a journal, so that future generations can see the hand of God working in your family:

· Where did I/we travel?
· What were the titles and key texts of sermons I preached?
· What books/articles did I write?
· What significant household projects did we accomplish in 2007?
· What were the most important meetings of the year?
· What special friendships were made this year?
· Which children lost teeth, and how many?
· Who grew in physical stature, and how much did they grow?
· Who learned to read this year?
· What diet and physical exercise regimen did I maintain to honor “my temple”?
· What books did I read? Did we read as a family? Did my children read?
· What Scriptures did my family memorize?
· What loved ones died this year?
· What were the great personal/ministry/national tragedies and losses of the year?
· What were the great personal/ministry/national blessings of the year?
· What were my most significant failures/sins for the year 2007?
· What unresolved conflicts/issues am I bringing into 2008?
· What significant spiritual and practical victories did I experience?
· In what tangible ways did I communicate gratitude to those who have blessed me and invested in my life?
· What are the top ten themes of 2007 for my family?


The second thing he challenges families to do is to say “thank you” to those who have invested in your life. Sometimes this can be very difficult for people to do. It exposes our inner feelings and can make us very vulnerable. However, I do believe that this part will be a blessing to everyone. It will also show to the children that we, as parents, are also grateful. A powerful lesson for our children to learn.

[I] cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers. (Eph. 1:16)

The third thing we are challenged to do is to make a list of those whom you have offended and those whom have offended you. Pray through that list and seek forgiveness. This is probably the hardest one of all. It is hard to admit that we have wronged others. We don’t like to look that deeply into ourselves. It’s easy though to think of all the things people have done against us. But…can you forgive these wrong doings? Here is a excerpt from the newsletter:

“Before 2008 begins, adopt a spirit of forgiveness towards your insensitive friends as well as your hateful enemies. Forgive your imperfect father for whatever it is you need to forgive him for (and pray to the Lord that your own children someday forgive you for your failures). Quit devoting untold precious hours to commiseration, mental replay of the wrongs done, and thoughts about just how badly you were wronged. Stop blaming everybody but you for your problems. Look to yourself. Once you start chronicling your own sinful attitudes and crimes against God and man, you simply won’t have time to worry about the wrongs done to you. You will stop being bitter, and you will start being thankful.”

May each of you have a blessed New Year

No comments: